Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sleeping alone

It often amuses me what makes it to the headline news. It was reported on BBC Breakfast this morning, with a panel of 'expert' guests no less. And the article about this very topic is currently claiming the #1 spot on NYT's Most Popular.

What appears to be grabbing everyone's attention is the increase in the demand for dual master bedrooms. The translation is that for many couples, they want their own separate sleeping nooks.

The notion makes good practical sense when one considers the number of men who snore (and thunderously at that) and different lifestyle patterns of modern day relationships - of one blackberrying late into the night and the other waking up at the crack of dawn to go to pilates class. But what of the romance of cuddling deep into the night and waking up to the person you love?

One older woman interviewed by Professor Rosenblatt* said she had her own bedroom because, “I’ve paid my dues. I’m old enough that I don’t want to have sex at 1 a.m.”

I couldn't help but laugh.

*A professor in the department of family and social science at the University of Minnesota

Editor's note: Oh, I forgotten to clarify why stories like this amuse me. If the 'most popular' online articles are any indication, then people are generally only interested in their micro environment and light-hearted matters at that. Perhaps I'm harsh and stories such as this serve as reprieve in a world where there are no shortages of tales about human tragedies and injustices.

2 comments:

Iqbal Khaldun said...

I remember when my dad was looking at a car at a show room the geezer explained that it had separate aircon and radio inputs for him and her.

Reminds me of that saying forget who said it:

"My wife and I go on holiday at least once a year. She goes to Paris and I go to Berlin."

Hehe.

Joe said...

I saw a segment on this on the BBC. They interviewed a group of old ladies - one said that she would get cold in bed by herself and another said that she found her husband's snoring reassuring at night!

Someone recommended that if it's a blanket problem then using separate blankets in the same bed can help.

I don't know if it's necessarily that frivolous an issue though... I grew up sharing a room with a snoring sibling and it lost me many hours of precious sleep.