Friday, March 23, 2007

Random ramblings

There is an interesting story about a family (the the Colin-Beavens) on Lower Fifth Avenue who is doing a yearlong lifestyle experience titled No Impact. The rules are not hard-set but basically includes:
- eating only organic food grown within 250-mile radius of Manhattan (reflecting the longest distance a farmer can drive in and out of the city in one day),
- no shopping for anything except food - though small purchases in thrift shops are allowed on special occasions,
- producing no trash,
- using no paper - this includes toilet paper,
- using no carbon-fueled transportation which translates to no microwave/coffee machine/trains/cars/elevator.

Besides the motivation from his pending book deal with publisher Farrar, Straus & Giroux, Mr Beaven sites "An Inconvenient Truth" as one of the sources of his inspiration for this project.

What is most interesting about their project is the way they have translated environmental consciousness into practical lifestyle choices. A bit extreme perhaps. And possibly attention-seeking and egocentric, but admirable and interesting nonetheless.

Project is diarised on his blog, No Impact Man.

On a completely different note, one which will disgracefully expose my superficial nature, Abercrombie & Fitch opened its London flagship store last night. I have spent many hours in front of the computer lusting for their clothes and perhaps for the models too (you will know what I mean once you've seen their website). Their tag line is "Casual Luxury" and their prices do reflect that, even when it is in pounds. Perhaps I can wait til my NY trip in late June. Meanwhile I will just feast my eyes on those sculpted pecs and melt-me eyes.

3 comments:

j a s o n said...

No impact man is my new Hero!

I've always wanted to live in an eco friendly house and be mr environmental...but its so easy to be lazy and slumber in the comfort of materialism and man made luxury...

I found when I go backpack camping how low impact you can be and how little luxuries you really need to be comfortable and survive outdoors. (i still have toilet paper though!)

If only I could readily translate the backpacking way to normal life...

Joe said...

It's almost possible Jason. My flat in HK had one little gas burner, three fluorescent lights and I didn't use A/C. In HK temperatures I hardly had to turn the hot water on. I'll put you in touch with my real estate agent for when you move there hehe...

That 'no impact family' reminded me of these freaks who were on Wife Swap last night (I love that show). They were on a raw food diet and they ate a lot of uncooked meat, including chicken!

They also believed that the body goes into an 'anorexic state' so the mum woke them all up in the middle of the night to drink this fermented milk stuff. And they brushed their (brown) teeth with butter!

I hate A&F! The stupid logos make anyone in their clothes a walking billboard. And that ubiquitous bus ad doesn't even show their product! It's all naked back and bum - you can only make out the waistband of the jeans!

Oh, it's so much fun to rant on other people's blogs rather than my own!

j a s o n said...

I've begun to use your blog as a vent/rant shrine...its good, but it feels like leaving my smelly rubbish on your doorstep...i'll try to dissist! :D

I think the no impact guy is doing something good by making us ask questions of our lives.

For me - environmental arguments aside - the wastage I see around me is so depressing. We use things for 2 seconds then create a peice of rubbish, when it could be avoided.

My 5th grade teacher harped on about the throw away society and I was yawning then, but now I know exactly what he means...my day is filled with plastic bags, packaging packaging and more packaging!

Just look at the trash in the streets...its rediculous. Our bins are full of packaging!