Friday, May 11, 2007

My two girls

The primary school is only located 10mins away by train but it's worlds apart from the CBD environment. I think the term they used in the induction was 'socially impoverished'. Friday lunchtimes are now spent at the school playing number games with my two new friends, Paige & Ramou. Paige is a 8 - a bubbly, enthusiastic girl whose favourite colour is blue, likes to go shopping but dislikes fish & chips. Ramou is 7 - sweet and shy, with beautiful coco skin and braided hair, she smiles more than she speaks.

I had thought it would be hard work engaging and entertaining two young children but it turned out to be so effortless. They were so well behaved and beamed with such eagerness. I think the joy in being with children is the ease with which they can delight in the simple things. Their world is carefree, innocent and playful. Afterwards these two very small, very cute girls thanked me with hugs for spending time with them. It was the sweetest thing. But really they are the ones I should be thanking them for brightening up my day.

5 comments:

Joe said...

That's so lovely! So is this going to take the hard corporate edge off you? And are you sure hugging is allowed?

j a s o n said...

Does Jean have a hard corporate edge??

Joe said...

Of course - have you noticed how all her leisure activities are negotiated and planned with such precision?

j a s o n said...

She is self-proclaimed organisation queen, but I'd say Wales trip is hard to beat as an organisational feat :D

Jean said...

Hard corporate edge?! Haha! Ah, these days I am but only a shadow of my former ambitious self.

I am feeling tired, unsure, dissatisfied. I can't even lay claim to being burnt-out as I don't consider myself as having worked very hard to date.

My organisation skills stem from my inability to let things run a spontaneous course. It's not good.

Oh, handshakes, high-fives and hugging are all allowed. Lap sitting and taking children out of classroom are not.