Monday, May 07, 2007

Merry go round

I can hardly believe that the first four months of the year had so quickly passed me by. I am still very much enjoying my life in London but the feeling is somewhat akin to being on a merry go around. It's exciting (or at least still novel) but things are spinning by too fast.

There's been a few recent changes and of more notable worth are the moving in of new Flattie and recent arrival of my latest international guest. Flattie and I get along very well; he's good-humored, considerate, and at times quite a gentleman. Perhaps our relationship is helped in no-small part by fact that he's hardly ever home - being a consultant who is currently on site outside central London and an overly enthusiastic traveller who jet sets once a fortnight (at least). It's possibly rather hard to have friction when there's so little opportunity for interaction. And my latest international guest, who is actually an old colleague from Syd, reminds me acutely of what a cocooned life we had when we lived with our parents back home. And that's all I am going to say about him (for now).

Of the places I've visited recently there are some which I would not recommend to others, places which should be on the never-to-do-list. Unfortunately a few weekends ago, some of us* found out firsthand that LegoLand falls squarely in that category. Firstly, it does not have much Lego at all! Add to that discoloration from the many years of sun exposure, cobwebs from neglect, and a hefty entrance fee well over GBP20, it was a real disappointment even to the inner child in us all. The only worthwhile section was the MiniLand where there were small replicas of different cities. Here's a selection (full set of photos posted on my Picasa web album).





*I am constantly teased by my colleague, Mr B, for having travelled half way across the world to hang out with fellow Aussies. It's not a conscious choice or even a desired outcome. I would love to meet more non-Aussie, non-corporate, fun-lovers but where? Curiously my new friends of late are not Aussies but Honkies. I have never really identified myself as a Honkie nor got along particularly well with those who did. But now, I relish practising my broken Cantonese with them and happy to finally have friends who understand my love for Honkie soapies and music. And they have many funny tales to tell about their ruthless work environment that brings a reality to the tales of Anonymous Lawyer. I admire their ambition and drive to achieve in their career and endless energy to maximise everything that London has to offer - to work ridiculous hours most days of the week and then to travel every weekend is an achievement in itself.

3 comments:

j a s o n said...

Ask MrB how many real non-English friends he has made in the last 4 months.

Not acquaintances, but people he actually spends quality time with.

I look forward to his answer.

Jean said...

Mr B is actually English himself. But of Jewish background. Like I am Chinese but Australian.

Not sure how many people he spends quality time with though.

Joe said...

hehe... i've found it much easier to import friends from overseas!